Why Hire a Washington DC DUI Attorney
Hiring a DC DUI lawyer is crucial because the District of Columbia is a “zero tolerance” jurisdiction when it comes to getting behind the wheel after consuming alcohol or other drugs, including not just illegal drugs, but even prescription and non-prescription drugs. Any measurable amount of alcohol or drugs in your system can lead to an arrest and conviction for DUI or the related charges of Driving While Impaired (DWI) and Operating While Impaired (OWI), as long as the United States Attorney and the police can prove that you were impaired. If you are charged with DUI in Washington, DC, your case will be treated harshly, possibly harsher than any other jurisdiction in the country.
Potential Consequences of a First-Time DUI Conviction in Washington, DC:
- Up to 180 days of jail time, including minimum mandatory jail time depending on BAC level.
- Up to $1000 in fines.
- Possible Suspension of Driver’s License for 1 year
- Mandated use of an interlock ignition system for 6 months, with a restricted driver’s license.
- Significant points added to your Washington, DC driver’s license.
- DUI on your record for 15 years (which can affect employment, credit, housing applications, etc.)
If you are in that situation, it is vital to get an aggressive DC DUI lawyer on your side who will fight for you every step of the way. That is where the experienced lawyers at Ervin Kibria Law come in. We will work with you as an individual to aggressively investigate, defend and challenge the charges. If you have trouble with charges of DUI, DWI, or OWI, contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
What Does Driving Under the Influence (DUI) Mean in Washington, DC?
DC Code §50-2206.11 forbids a person who is either intoxicated or under the influence of alcohol or drugs to operate or be in physical control of any vehicle in the District of Columbia. Officially, being “intoxicated” means a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of 0.08 or higher, but that does not mean you cannot be convicted of DUI with a lower BAC. In Washington, DC, mandatory jail time penalties apply from as low as 0.02 BAC upward. If you are facing a DUI charge in Washington, DC, it is important you consult with a DC DUI lawyer regarding your options.
What does Operating While Impaired (OWI) mean in Washington, DC?
As experienced DUI Lawyers in Washington DC know, the District of Columbia is extremely strict when it comes to drunk driving. In fact, you do not even have to be driving to face punishment for getting behind the wheel with alcohol or drugs in your system.
Per DC Code §50–2206.14 “no person shall operate or be in physical control of any vehicle in the District while the person’s ability to operate or be in physical control of a vehicle is impaired by the consumption of alcohol or any drug or any combination thereof.”
The important term is “physical control”. You could be parked and just sitting behind the wheel with the keys in the ignition, with no intention to drive, but because you are still in physical control of the vehicle, you could still be charged with Operating While Impaired (OWI) by a passing police officer.
Conviction for OWI involves paying fines and potentially serving jail time, with mandatory jail time if it is your second or subsequent conviction. If you are facing OWI charges in Washington DC, it is important you speak with a DC OWI lawyer regarding your options. Contact Ervin Kibria Law today for a free consultation.
Experienced Washington, DC DUI Lawyer
When you are facing a drunk driving charge or any motor vehicle traffic offense, you need fast, accurate answers about your situation and the best way to proceed to protect your rights. The defense attorneys at Ervin Kibria understand your concerns and your sense of urgency in dealing with a difficult situation.
- The consequences for DUI: Clients who reach out to us concerning a DUI arrest often share common questions. These concerns are best addressed by a DC DUI lawyer experienced with DUI cases. While every case is different, clients often struggle with understanding what a DUI conviction would mean. Will there be a criminal record? Do I have to go to trial? Years in jail? Months in jail? I had an accident? Loss of a driver’s license? We are here to listen to your concerns, answer your questions to the best of our ability, and guide through the difficult legal process.
- An aggressive defense: The consequences of a DUI charge often depend on having an experienced dc DUI attorney to represent you. At Ervin Kibria, we have the necessary experience to aggressively investigate, defend and challenge the charges.
- We work with you as an individual: We do not treat cases as if they were a car on an assembly line. We are not a DUI mill. We are personalized. We are accessible. We are hands on. We keep our practice small so we can be completely dedicated to giving our clients the very best representation. When you hire us you have direct access to us, not a law clerk, or a paralegal, or an associate dc DUI attorney.
Whether you are dealing with a DUI charge, a serious local traffic offense that can put points on your driver’s license, or you need a possession of marijuana lawyer, you can depend on the defense lawyers at Ervin Kibria law firm to give you the best advice and determine what’s right for you. Whether We know and understand your rights.